[RASMB] Biohazard Level 2

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Feb 28 17:59:40 PST 2012

John,

The short answer is that you operate the AUC very very carefully! ☺

But seriously, to my knowledge the only lab that puts BSL2 material into their XL-I had a special fume hood built that encloses the entire instrument to deal with issues of sucking sample into the vacuum pump and out into the room.

I have no knowledge of whether it is possible to filter the output of the turbomolecular pump. But even if you solve that, another non-trivial issue can sometimes be how to clean up and detoxify the centrifuge cells? Remember that the cell housings inevitably get exposed to sample (at the fill holes), and they will not stand up to bleach, which is the only approved approach for detoxifying some biohazards.

Clearly the risk and safety issues depend on the particulars of the sample, but if the sample in question is highly toxic or infectious IMHO you should not put yourself, your co-workers, or the operations of your core facility at risk.

FYI at APL our approach to BSL2 is just say no!

John
  _____