[RASMB] Buffers for CD

Glen Ramsay glen at avivbiomedical.com
Thu Feb 9 12:10:19 PST 2012

Greetings David:

Acetate is commonly used. The acid and base forms for all buffers can have different absorbances, so expect some pH dependence. Also, if you are doing temperature melts, keep in mind that the enthalpy of protonization results in a pKa change that can cause the pH to drift with temperature. Acetate and phosphate are better, Tris and Tricine poor. Of course, keep in mind that there can be specific interactions between some samples and buffers, so some combinations will not work. At a low enough pHs (2?) self buffering kicks in, so the need for a buffer isn't as severe as at pH 7. At the other extreme, pH >10 will etch silica, so keep these experiments brief.

Keep in mind that that salts added for ionic strength can absorb too. If possible, keep these low, or substitute (when possible) non-absorbing salts for NaCl.

You can use the CD's dynode voltage to estimate the buffer absorbance. Most UV-Vis spectrometers don't go below 250 nm, so a CD spectrum of a new buffer is frequently the best test to see if it is going to work.

When possible, boost the sample concentration, use a shorter path length, and the CD signal will be the same but the buffer absorbance will be reduced. 1 mm may be the standard for CD, but it is not a requirement.

Glen

Glen Ramsay, Ph.D.
Chief Scientist
glen at avivbiomedical.com