[RASMB] Absorbance Scan Question

Cole, James james.cole at uconn.edu
Tue Jan 31 09:13:00 PST 2012

Hi Peter
It could be heterogeneity but I suspect that you are seeing nonlinearity  as you  go to high absorbance. If the 20% TFA has significant OD at short wavelengths then the total absorbance at the bottom of the cell will be out of the linear range, even if the sample-buffer absorbance is below 1 OD.  I would not expect that the ratios you obtain from a spectrum recorded on the XLA would match those in the plot because the wavelength  reproducibility of the monochromator  is lousy and you are looking at a steeply rising portion of the spectrum.
Jim