[RASMB] Radial-dependent noise in Beckmann XL-I

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Thu Jan 26 06:55:13 PST 2012

I think Andrew is right on target. My suggestion would be to run a cell
filled with *water* in both channels and do 5-10 intensity scans, not absorbance
scans, and then to compare the intensities across the cell. This can be
repeated at different wavelengths and temperatures to see if there is
really a temperature dependence to this.

If the pattern between 6.2-6.4 shows up in *both* channels, then the issue
is most likely a dirty optical component, probably in the slit assembly
and/or lamp window.  It could also be a problem with your monochromator,
but check the other components first,  the monochromator should only be
serviced by Beckman. You could even intensity-scan an empty rotor hole
and get the same diagnostic.

-borries