[RASMB] CPU Board Malfunction on XL-I

Ute Curth curth.ute at mh-hannover.de
Fri Mar 11 03:04:31 PST 2011

Hi Ian,

we bought an XL-I equipped with an Aviv AU-FDS in 2008 and also suffer
from severe problems. Either the centrifuge stops spinning or the
computer stops scanning within a run. This happens after unpredictable
times (20 min to 20 hours), at different rotor speeds (e.g. 22, 35 or 50
krpm), independent whether we measure absorbance only or absorbance and
interference but not in every run. Our machine is still under warranty
and Beckman has been trying for more than one year to solve this
problem. A lot of components of the machine (all boards, the display,
the radial drive....) were exchanged, but this did not solve the
problem. After having ruled out that there were problems with the power
supply in our institute, they admitted that there is a timing problem in
the communication between centrifuge and computer and that similar
problems exist in about 10 machines worldwide. Therefore, they modified
the firmware and installed a new firmware pre-release (now the machine
stopped scanning regularly in runs which were performed at 50000 rpm)
and afterwards a new version of the GUI, which should solve this
problem. In first tests with the new firmware/GUI combination the
machine seems to work more reliable (it did not stop in several test
runs at several speeds), but it turned out that the new firmware is not
able to hand over the correct value for w^2t to the computer (a plot of
w^2t against the time is not linear as expected, but looks like a saw
tooth wave). They are trying to solve this problem for several weeks now
and I still hope that our centrifuge will work properly soon. Just as a
comment: the Aviv fluorescence detection system works without any problems.

Best wishes

Ute

--
PD Dr. rer. nat. Ute Curth