[RASMB] Help with Small Self-Associating Peptide

Peter Edward Prevelige Jr prevelig at uab.edu
Fri Dec 9 14:57:27 PST 2011

Hi All -

Can you give me some advice on the best way to analyze a small (~2800 Da) peptide that we think is self associating. The CD shows increasing helicity with concentration which continues to increase even at 10 mg/ml meaning we will likely have to record data at a less than ideal wavelength (240 nm) Our interest is really in determining the stoichiometry of the species formed at high concentration  (we suspect a hexamer), we care less about Kd. Looking through the archives I've seen conflicting suggestions, (ie. sed velocity vs sed equilibrium).  I was thinking about mimicking the approach in the Braswell/Holtzer paper but the peptide is somewhat valuable and limited so I wanted to ascertain whether or not this was the optimal way to proceed.

Thanks!

Peter

Peter E. Prevelige Jr.
Professor