[RASMB] Looking for help with the XL-A optics

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Mon Nov 28 11:32:33 PST 2011

Osman,

I agree with Bo and Andrew that a damaged monochromator could cause both
symptoms, and that is a serious problem. However if perhaps you instead have
two different problems things might not be quite so serious.

The radial intensity variation could easily be explained by a dirty face on
the photomultiplier tube, with more dirt at lower radii. That is especially
true since those scans you sent were at 230 nm, where the absorbance of any
contaminant will likely be higher. You could for example get deposition of
diffusion pump oil on the PMT if the vacuum was released before the
diffusion pump had cooled.

That however would clearly not explain the wavelength calibration issue. If
that is a separate problem from the other, one possible cause would be that
the monochromator was not seated properly (red screw ring not tightened
sufficiently, or it is binding due to cross-threading or some dirt in the
threads). Another would be that you have somehow lost the wavelength
calibration information that was stored on the hard drive of the data
acquisition computer. This would happen, for example, if you swapped
computers or had to restore the hard drive to its original condition. If
this latter hypothesis were true then you have also lost the radial
calibration so any data acquired would likely be useless.

Also FYI for diagnostic purposes it is better to scan an empty HOLE in the
rotor rather than an empty CELL. For a 4-hole rotor put a cell in hole 2 to
keep the rotor balanced, but leave holes 1 and 3 empty and scan one of those
empty holes. At low rotor speeds the unbalanced stress due to the empty
holes is not a problem.

John