[RASMB] Looking for help with the XL-A optics

Osman Bakr osman.bakr at kaust.edu.sa
Sun Nov 27 15:13:57 PST 2011

Dear RASMB subscribers,

We recently noticed that the intensity scans taken by our XL-A show extreme
radial dependence. Furthermore, we discovered that our lamp was exhibiting
intensity peaks significantly shifted from their supposed wavelengths.

Below are radial scans taken for empty holes and the counterbalance, and
also a wavelength-intensity scan taken at 6.5 cm:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10119274/reanalyticalultracentrifugexla.zip

We tried cleaning the lamp and adjusting its alignment, but that did not
help.

We are located in Saudi Arabia, and the local distributor does not have the
expertise to deal with an AUC. We contacted Beckman in Europe for help, but
they are being much slower in their response  than I had hoped.  Having the
AUC up and running again is of critical importance to the users at my
university (KAUST), since it is currently the only AUC in Saudi Arabia.
Therefore, the university's priority is to get it fixed in the shortest
time frame possible.

If you or someone you know can resolve this problem, we'll be more than
happy to: a) pay a consulting fee (if the problem can be resolved by
remotely directing us); or b) pay for a round trip plane ticket, plus
lodging and a consulting fee, if the problem can only be resolved by
on-site service.

Please send your inquiries or suggestions directly to me at
osman.bakr at kaust.edu.sa

Regards.

-Osman

--