[RASMB] Using SEDFIT with multispeed SV

Walter Stafford stafford at bbri.org
Thu Oct 13 14:58:47 PDT 2011

SEDANAL's multi-speed (3000 to 60000 RPM or about a 400 fold range in centrifugal field strength in the same experiment), gravity sweep methods can handle a range of sedimentation coefficients more than about 10-20 times wider than a single speed run can in the same amount of time with other methods. The problem with a single speed run is that for some species the speed may be just fine to create a boundary but for the smaller species the speed would be more appropriate for an equilibrium run and for smallest species even to slow for a proper equilibrium run. Generally the smallest material must sediment at least half way (further is better) down the cell during the run

Walter F. Stafford, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist
Boston Biomedical Research Institute
64 Grove Street
Watertown, MA 02472
617-658-7808
skype: w.stafford3
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle."  -Plato