[RASMB] FW: sedimentation velocity data

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Fri Sep 30 10:27:30 PDT 2011

Anamika, it's a little hard to tell what is going on because the majority of
the scans are after the cell is completely empty (you don't want to load
those). There is however, at the very least, something funny about the
spacing of the scans over time (the apparent amount of boundary movement
between successive scans varies substantially), and that might indeed be due
to some problem with the slit motion or radial readout. I think I may be
seeing the apparent meniscus position shift back and forth randomly rather
than in a consistent direction over time (it's hard to tell with so many
scans overlapping), and if that is true then yes you have a serious hardware
problem and need to bring in the service technician (but don't describe the
problem to Beckman as a 'radial calibration' problem). If that is what is
happening you really won't be able to analyze the data.

As an aside, you really need to fill your cells much more completely. Try to
get the sample meniscus to the left of 6.00 cm (I recommend at least 420
microliters of sample).

John
  _____