[RASMB] sedimentation velocity data

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Fri Sep 30 10:10:34 PDT 2011

Anamika, your attachment did not come through, but most likely this is not a
radial calibration problem. Assuming the apparent positions of the sample
and reference meniscus are moving to higher radius over time, that would be
consistent with a slow leak (probably the red fill-hole gaskets have not
produced a complete vacuum seal). If you search through the archives you
will find discussions about such problems and alternatives to the red
gaskets from Beckman.

Without seeing the data it is hard to say much about the impact on the data
analysis, but definitely any leakage of the sample could significantly
impact the sedimentation coefficients and the detection of minor components.
You may be able to minimize the impact by fitting for the meniscus position,
and if all you are trying to do is to distinguish whether your main species
is a monomer versus dimer that conclusion would likely be valid, but sorry,
I probably wouldn't trust this experiment for any critical results.

John
  _____