[RASMB] in-house lamp cleaning

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Sep 27 11:01:39 PDT 2011

> Dear RASMB subscribers,
>
> The current economic climate has caused us to not renew our maintenance
> contract for our XLI ultracentrifuge. Our centrifuge is working okay;
> however, the intensity output of UV light has dropped (the visible output
> is okay). We think the lamp needs cleaning.
>
> I have replaced and aligned lamps in CD spectrometers, fluorometers, and
> UV specs. Should we attempt to clean the lamp on the XLI, rather than call
> in the Beckman technician?
>
> Thank you and best regards,
>
> Avi

Avi,

cleaning the lamp is a routine procedure you should be able to do
yourself. We have this procedure documented in our manual, which is
available online:

http://www.ultrascan.uthscsa.edu/

Select "LIMS" from the top bar, then look for "AUC Manual" in the
left bar. That website also has other resources for diagnostic tests
you can perform to check the lamp - you may want to try a "before and
after" check to make sure cleaning actually addressed the problem.
Other items can be in need of attention as well, for example, the
slit assembly tends to attract oil and dirt over time.

Good luck, -Borries