[RASMB] AUC in the presence of 100 mg/ml Ficoll70

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Aug 2 14:26:12 PDT 2011

Hi Titus
That's interesting. A 600 kDa species will be seriously distinct from
Ficoll 70 in its sedimentation properties, even allowing for the lower
vbar value of the latter. Which is good news.  My own approach would be
to do an initial SV run, with solvent including Ficoll in the reference
channel, and see if a c(s) profile reveals any (probably rather broad)
peak in the region of 20S ( s,20,w). If so, then an SE run will
certainly give you an average (apparent) MW value - but how to correct
this value for the crowding effect, which will affect D and hence M?
It's dirty, but maybe using a 'calibration' molecule (apoferritin comes
to mind) of similar size to give a 'correction factor' could be don.
Other technologies do not offer easy options, either. SEC-MALLS with
columns equilibrated with 10 mg/ml Ficoll?!  DLS to give an rH - sounds
better, but unlikely to be very precise. Anyone out there got some
better ideas, please?
Best wishes to you and all
Arthur

*******