[RASMB] partial specific volume of RNA

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Jul 12 12:52:09 PDT 2011

Yes Aaron - we did indeed do measurements by densimetry on 16S
ribosomal RNA - and came to the conclusion (which I think would be
generally accepted) that the value for vbar for these systems depends
very heavily on the cation present. So computation of vbar from
sequence is likely to be limited to systems lacking (maybe entirely)
significant cation concentration.

All best

Arthur

On Jul 12, 2011, at 17:54, Aaron L Lucius wrote:

> I think you can get that information in this paper:
>
> H. Durchschlag , Specific volumes of biological macromolecules and
> some other molecules of biological interest. In: H.-J. Hinz, Editor,
> Thermodynamic Data for Biochemistry and Biotechnology,
> Springer-Verlag, Berlin (1986), pp. 45-128.
>
> However, he references this paper for RNA:  Pearce, T.C., Rowe, A.J.,
> Turnock, G., 1975. Determination of the molecular weights of RNAs by
> low-speed sedimentation equilibrium: 16 S ribosomal RNA as a model
> compound. Journal of molecular biology 97, 193-201.
>
>  http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022283675800349
>
> Best,
>
> Aaron
>
> Aaron L. Lucius, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> University of Alabama at Birmingham
> Department of Chemistry
> Chem 292
> 1530 3rd Ave S
> Birmingham, AL 35294-1240
>
> Office: 205-934-8096
> Fax: 205-934-2543

*******
Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology / Director NCMH Business Centre
School of Biosciences
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington
Leics LE12 5RD