[RASMB] A very special memoir

Allen Minton minton at helix.nih.gov
Fri Jun 17 08:52:24 PDT 2011

Dear members of the RASMB community:

Many years ago I read a delightful description by A.G. Ogston of the
period he spent at Oxford Univ. during and after WWII working with
the Svedberg Ultracentrifuge.  When I tried more recently to locate
this article, I could not find it in any bibliographic database.  I
recalled reading the article in TiBS and wrote the publisher to
inquire why I could not find it online.  I got a very nice reply
explaining that it had appeared in a special supplement which for
obscure technical reasons had not been cataloged in the databases,
and a photocopy of the original articles was attached.

Sandy Ogston was a great physical biochemist and one of my personal
scientific heroes.  He made key contributions to almost every subject
that he looked into over his long and distinguished career.  His
writing is distinguished by insight, clarity, and wit.  I think you
will enjoy the attached memoir.

Allen Minton