[RASMB] How to run an AUC in an earthquake...

Susumu UCHIYAMA suchi at bio.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp
Tue May 17 21:48:20 PDT 2011

Hi Ren,

Beckman has no guarantee about the trouble by earthquake.
As John mentioned, what Beckman says is, even if some trouble happens in the chamber, the rotor or
crushed rotor will never scramble out of the chamber.

Japanese guideline to overcome the trouble from earthquake is, (1) buildings are designed as strong
enough against a great magnitude earthquake, this is strictly regulated by the Japanese law.
Actually earthquake this time, most of the buildings are not collapsed by the tumbling, (2) Tall
shelves in the room are tightly fixed to the wall. (3) Shelves are all equipped with a bar to
protect small staffs tumbling down.
Japanese tall building is designed as seismic isolation structure in this case higher floor
experiences higher magnitude.

Overall, at first, for the protection against shaking up and down, the building itself should be
reinforced.
You can protect instrument against horizontal oscillation by fixing the instrument to the floor.

In the case of Big earthqukake in 1995 (magnitute 7.), AUC in Osaka University (Osaka University is
50 km from the earthquake center), upper part of one Model-E slink aside and laser-attached Rayleigh
optical system of another Model-E become unaligned but XL-As and XL-Is have no damage.

Susumu

Susumu Uchiyama, Ph. D., Assistant Professor
Department of Biotechnology,
Graduate School of Engineering, Osaka University
2-1 Yamadaoka, Suita 565-0871, Osaka, Japan
TEL: 81-6-6879-4215
FAX: 81-6-6879-7442
E-mai : suchi at bio.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp
http://www.bio.eng.osaka-u.ac.jp/cl/