[RASMB] Joachim Behlke

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Apr 18 07:39:34 PDT 2011

Dear Holger & Helmut (and all in RASMB)

It was with great sadness that I have just heard the news of the death
of Joachim Behlke. He was indeed a scientist who illuminated our field
with – as you indicate - the depth and catholicity of his interests.
But above all he was a really lovely man, always ready with a friendly
gesture, always as happy to take an interest in your work as in his
own.  Together with Steve Harding and the vice-Chancellor of Leicester
University, I had the privilege of welcoming Joachim to Leicester
University, on what I think was his first visit after becoming free to
travel. There he gave us, our colleagues and students, a fascinating
talk, delivered with ease and aplomb. It was hard to believe that this
was his first talk ever delivered in English in the Anglophone world –
how indicative of the width of his talents. We will miss him very much
indeed, and all our thoughts and sympathies are with his family.

Arthur

*******
Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology / Director NCMH Business Centre
School of Biosciences
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington
Leics LE12 5RD