[RASMB] tripping!

Olwyn Byron Olwyn.Byron at glasgow.ac.uk
Mon Mar 21 06:06:36 PDT 2011

Dear RASMBers,

I'm writing to ask whether any on you can tell me what might be wrong with our XL-I.

When one of our students was setting up an SV run yesterday he ran into the following problem:

The XL-I was set to accelerate to 49 krpm in the XLA 4.5 software.
When the "start single scan" button was pressed (for initial set-up) the XL-I accelerated a bit (to about 20 krpm) and the student noticed that on the control panel the speed set was 48 krpm, not 49 krpm.

Then an error message appeared on the XL-I control screen - which was flashing - "mismatch in configuration between centrifuge and computer - settings adjusted accordingly - press any key to remove message".

Pressing any key gave an alert sound and the message remained.

So the student hit the stop button on the XLA 4.5 software control screen; the XL-I stopped.  He turned the vac off, opened the lid, removed the rotor and optics.

Then he switched the XL-I off.

Then he couldn't turn it back on.

In fact what happens is when we flick the "on" switch, power comes on for 3 seconds and then trips off.

Has anyone had this type of experience before?  If so, could you advise what we could try to get the XL-I back on?

Many thanks and best wishes to all-
Olwyn

Olwyn Byron

****please note new email address: olwyn.byron at glasgow.ac.uk****

B2-11, Glasgow Biomedical Research Centre, University of Glasgow
120 University Place, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland, UK

+44 (0)141 330 3752
olwyn.byron at glasgow.ac.uk
http://www.gla.ac.uk:443/ibls/staff/staff.php?who=Pn||ed