[RASMB] CPU Board Malfunction on XL-I

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Fri Mar 11 08:50:38 PST 2011

Just to clarify my earlier response, I was addressing only one of several
different issues that can cause data acquisition stoppages. Many of the
issues discussed in subsequent messages are due to serial communication
issues between the PC and the DAB board in the instrument. The CPU overload
problems I talked about vary only with the version of the firmware, whereas
the serial communication issues depend on the firmware version, the GUI
version, and also I believe with the specific PC hardware. I have heard it
said that Beckman has seen variation in the extent of the serial
communication problem even within the same model # of IBM computer due to
changes in motherboard components, but I can't confirm that is true. What I
do know is that my XL-I and XL-A never seem to have stoppages due to serial
communication issues, so there are actually combinations of firmware/GUI/PC
where this is minimal.

Definitely power line fluctuations are problematic, but those will normally
produce a different error message. The DAB CPU overload issue I discussed
will not necessarily produce a Diagnostic 11 error message.

John

  _____