[RASMB] Software (ProteomeLab)

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Tue Feb 22 16:06:34 PST 2011

Barbara,

Yes once you have Windows re-installed you should be able to just use the
Beckman software disks to re-install the "GUI" (the program that runs the
instrument). They may have given you emergency disks which would re-install
Windows also.

One "gotcha" though is that you will probably lose the wavelength and radial
calibrations. In principle the first time you take a scan the XL-I will
realize the calibration file (which exist in the root directory of the hard
drive) is missing and put it back using the values stored in its
non-volatile memory, but my service tech happens to be here today and he
agrees that this rarely happens. So if you can safely do so, I would make a
copy of those files before wiping the hard drive (2 files with names ending
in .cal) and then put them back manually.

If you need to re-install the Beckman analysis software, that is a slightly
more complicated. You first must install Origin, and then install the
Beckman-specific customizations into the folder where Origin was installed
(as I recall the default location for the Beckman-specific parts is not
correct).

Regarding the worm, if there is no network connection then it seems to me
the only way to get infected would be if someone plugged in an infected
memory stick.

Good luck,

John

  _____