[RASMB] counterbalance functions

Walter Stafford stafford at bbri.org
Mon Jan 10 08:11:29 PST 2011

Glen: It isn't the collimated light that is focused by these systems. It
is the rays coming from the object  plane in the cell. And vertical
movements do matter. Remember: the collimated rays end up at the focal
point of the lens, diverge after that and do not make it to (i.e.
converge at) the image plane. I can't say what the magnitude of the
effect is but it is there.

Glen Ramsay wrote:
> the vertical movements probably don't affect the absorbance and
> interference measurements too much as these beams are relatively well
> columnated and insensitive to height.

Walter F. Stafford, Ph.D.
Senior Scientist
Boston Biomedical Research Institute