[RASMB] radial scans 6 sector cells

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Fri Dec 10 08:52:56 PST 2010

Steve & Walter,

Well I don't like to be belabor a point, but since I'm getting beat up a bit
here...

Yes, the conservation of mass calculations do need to know the meniscus and
bottom positions, but that doesn't mean those positions have to be present
in the final equilibrium scan you are actually fitting. (Clearly they don't
since I have been using this data acquisition approach for many years,
including when using my 'soft' conservation of mass constraints). From an
experimental point of view it is also not very clear how to accurately
define those locations from scans that include them (e.g. the infamous
"where is the meniscus, really?" controversy).

Further, regarding the bottom position, what does the 'true' position
actually mean? The bottom of the standard Beckman 6-channel cells is flat,
not cut on a radius, so (without FC43) the length of the solution column
varies as you move across the width of the cell. Even when you use FC43
there is a radial region at the bottom where the absorbance optics are
detecting part sample solution and part FC43, so you really can't possibly
get good data for the entire solution column (this issue should pretty much
go away when you use interference slits). Often mass conservation approaches
are not actually considering the rectangular rather than sector shape of the
channel at all.

These issues of not knowing precisely where the column ends are located,
non-sector geometry, and not being able to get good data over the full
column height, are exactly why true accurate mass conservation usually
cannot be achieved and precisely why I implemented the 'soft' mass
conservation constraints about 16 years ago [Philo, J. S. (2000). Improving
sedimentation equilibrium analysis of mixed associations using numerical
constraints to impose mass or signal conservation. Methods Enzymol. 321,
100-120].

John
  _____