[RASMB] radial scans 6 sector cells

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Thu Dec 9 15:19:33 PST 2010

Lake, regarding the UV damage, remember that pathway is independent of
whether your protein is stable enough in solution at RT to do equilibrium.
Every biopharmaceutical has to be tested for light stability, so we biotech
types tend to be more aware of these issues than academics. A very common
result of UV exposure is irreversible aggregation. Many SE protocols involve
quite a few scans, for example to try to decide whether equilibrium has been
reached, and often those scans have rather high repetitions at each radial
position. If you do have UV damage during an SE experiment, you are just
going to see that the profile keeps changing as you do more scans (you don't
really reach equilibrium). You could easily mistake this as lack of physical
stability, and may not realize it is the absorbance scans themselves that
are causing the problem. I hear that photodamage can vary a lot from one
protein to another, and I'm not saying that in practice this is a common
problem for SE or SV, but it may not be at all obvious if and when it is
actually a problem.

Here again is an issue where Beckman could easily help us by finally
providing software that scans the 6-channel cells properly and doesn't
needlessly expose all the samples to UV while it is fruitlessly scanning
through regions of charcoal-filled epon.

John

  _____