[RASMB] AUC question

Titus M. Franzmann tmfr at umich.edu
Fri Nov 19 06:58:03 PST 2010

                Hi Leslie,

I bet you will also hear back from more advanced AUC people.

One thing I noticed during my years of working on mass determination of
proteins using AUC, is that the experimental run conditions are critical to
get very accurate masses. The shape domain (ff0) is critical. When you spin
too fast, the shape domain is poorly described. Spinning too slow will gain
information on the shape domain, but you compromise your resolution on the
S-domain. Depending on how important this question off mass determination
is, I found that an approach that worked for me is spinning the samples at
multiple speeds, improving resolution on both domains and fitting them
globally.

Best

Titus

Dr. Titus M. Franzmann