[RASMB] Photomultiplier tube disturbances?

Glen Ramsay glen at avivbiomedical.com
Wed Oct 13 17:40:34 PDT 2010

Greetings All:

As a hardware jockey, I'd like to put in my $0.02.

The beauty of a dual-beam spectrometer (which the XL-A is in true absorbance mode) is that it is self correcting for moderate to low frequency error (noise and drift).  When the reference and sample signals follow the same path then irregularities like lamp, PMT or electronic drift are removed when the I/Io ratio is taken.  Something like drift due to temperature changes during warm up (or caused by the other AUC in the room stopping and dumping a lot of heat into the room) will be difficult to correct for using pseudo-absorbance.  The demands of the instrument's stability are greater using pseudo-absorbance.

I don't mean to say that pseudo-absorbance is wrong, but that moderate to low frequency error that might be corrected out using absorbance can show up on the same time scale as the sample signal using pseudo-absorbance.  I would suggest devoting one channel to water or buffer to serve as a validity check, and possibly serve as the Io signal for the other channels.

Glen