[RASMB] fringe coefficient for RNA?

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Sat Sep 25 01:33:06 PDT 2010

Hi Gunther

'All' you need to know is the refractive index increment at the
wavelength of the XL-I laser of your RNA - as compared to that of
protein under the same conditions of wavelength, solvent, temperature,
whatever. You will appreciate the significance of the first word in the
last sentence!

Maybe someone has published something helpful, but the best I can offer
is that Nieuwenhuysen et al (1981) Biochem J 197 689-693 give some
results from their analysis of ribosomes which seem to show (this paper
is a freebie on the web) that RNA has an increment of very roughly 6%
less than that of protein. If that % difference holds at the (rather
higher) wavelength where your interest lies, then in place of 1 fringe
= 0.3019 mg/ml* you could use 0.32 mg/ml. Not exact - but neither is
that figure for proteins.

Nieuwenhuysen et al also cite a paper in which the dn/dc value for an
RNA is directly measured (Slegers et al, 1973 Biopolymers 12 2033-2044)
- but you don't actually need to know an absolute value - just
something relative to protein.

Regards

Arthur

*the final decimal bits should not be taken too seriously. individual
proteins do differ.

On Sep 24, 2010, at 17:11, Kern, Gunther wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for the fringe coefficient (fringes/(mg/ml) for RNA.
> Thanks a lot for your response,
>

> Gunther Kern
> Principal Scientist
> Molecular Biology
> AstraZeneca R&D Boston
> 35 Gatehouse Drive
> Waltham, MA02451
> Tel +1 781 839 4611
> gunther.h.kern at astrazeneca.com
>

> Confidentiality Notice: This message is private and may contain
> confidential and proprietary information. If you have received this
> message in error, please notify us and remove it from your system and
> note that you must not copy, distribute or take any action in reliance
> on it. Any unauthorized use or disclosure of the contents of this
> message is not permitted and may be unlawful.

*******
Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology / Director NCMH Business Centre
School of Biosciences
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington
Leics LE12 5RD