[RASMB] pressure induced dissociation

Jack Kornblatt krnbltt at alcor.concordia.ca
Thu Jul 29 11:54:33 PDT 2010

I have not been following the conversation very carefully but the
question of whether centrifugation induced pressure changes should cause
dissociation of multisubunit biological structures is of general
interest. Back in 1986, Pande and Wishnia (J.Biol.Chem. 261, 6272) were
studying the dissociation of intact ribosomes using hydrostatic pressure
as the perturbant. Their findings are interesting. Delta V of
dissociation for the E. coli ribosome is -240 mL/mol. The initial Kd is
dependent on the Mg(2+) concentration but Delta V is not.
This means that if you set the initial [Mg] at the correct value,
dissociation occurs at pressures well below 1000 atm and as low as 300
atm. The latter pressure is easily reached in the AUC.
It also means that if our ribosomes were similarly sensitive, those
which were sandwiched between the long bones of the leg would undergo
dissociation every time we went for a run or even a good walk!
Your knees thank their lucky stars that our ribosomes are somewhat more
hardy even if Infante and Baierlein thought that the urchin ribosome was
  more sensitive still.
best regards
jack (kornblatt)