[RASMB] pressure induced dissociation

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 28 14:47:33 PDT 2010

Hi Allen (& all)

Yes indeed - there was this story that a (reversible) myosin dimer
existed. Trouble is, it was never found by electron microscopy, and
detailed hydrodynamic analysis (Emes & Rowe, 1978 & Sara
Suchet-Derechin - lost reference) equally failed to find anything other
than monomer, over the (rather low) relevant range in c. Plus, the
whole concept sat uneasily with the (later identified) 3-fold
rotational symmetry of the native myosin filament. Nice to revisit the
historic stuff!

But of course this is not to deny the simple fact that hydrostatic
pressures of the order of 100+ bar are able to cause dissociation of
oligomeric structures. People such as Mike Geeves of U of Canterbury -
good to meet Mike a couple of weeks back at a Muscle Club Reunion Day -
have long explored this effect in some detail. Google brings down
loads. Synthetic myosin filaments  show this effect in the AUC (another
Emes & Rowe paper, 1978).

Even some monomeric proteins have been shown to change s values*
slightly (Errington et al 2001).

ABW to everyone

Arthur

*fully corrected for all other effects, including solvent density &
viscosity changes with pressure

Emes C H & Rowe A J (1978) BBA 537 125-144
Emes C H & Rowe A J (1978) BBA 537 110-124
N Errington, P Mistry & A J Rowe (2001) “Protein hydration varies with
protein crowding and with applied pressure: a sedimentation velocity
study” Progr. Coll Polym Sci 119 58-63

On Jul 28, 2010, at 21:46, Allen Minton wrote:

>  For those of you interested in ancient history, have a look at this:
>

> An unusual pressure dependence for a reversibly associating protein
> system; sedimentation studies on myosin.
>
>  Josephs R, Harrington WF.
>
>  Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1967 Oct;58(4):1587-94.
>

>  What goes around, comes around.
>

>> At 10:58 AM 7/28/2010, smcbryan wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>  Would anyone/everyone care to comment on these results:
>>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC389292/pdf/pnas00083
>>> -0121.pdf
>>>  and perhaps generalize on how/if they present a common or uncommon
>>>  phenomenon in centrifugation.
>>>  Is this something that we should look out for, or is it very
>>> specific to
>>>  this particular complex?
>>>  thanks,
>>>  steve
>>>
>>>  --
>>>  Steven McBryant, PhD
>>>  Director
>>>  Protein Production and Characterization Facility
>>>  Research Scientist/Scholar
>>>  Colorado State University
>>>  970-491-5586

*******
Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology / Director NCMH Business Centre
School of Biosciences
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington
Leics LE12 5RD