[RASMB] pressure induced dissociation

Judith Kornblatt judithk at alcor.concordia.ca
Wed Jul 28 09:12:55 PDT 2010

I suggest you look at "Pressure Effects in Ultracentrifugation of
Interacting Systems" in Methods in Enzymology, vol 27D, 306-345 (1973).
I apologize, but I don't know the names of the author(s). There is a
pressure gradient across an ultracentrifuge cell and hydrostatic
pressure is known to dissociate many oligomeric systems. Whether or not
one would see any effects with ultracentrifugation depends on whether or
not the system is already slightly dissociated or close to it and how
great the volume change is for dissociation. I work with a dimeric
enzyme (enolase) that is dissociated by pressure. I've calculated that,
if I start with the enzyme already 50% dissociated and centrifuge at 42
000 rpm, than the % monomeric enzyme would vary from 50% at the meniscus
to perhaps 70% at the bottom of the cell. I must admit, however, that i
haven't looked closely at my data to see if this is happening.  If I
were to start with fully dimeric enzyme, the pressure gradient across
the cell would not be enough to produce any measurable dissociation.

Judith Kornblatt
Professor Emeritus
Concordia University
Montreal, QUebec