[RASMB] Common contamination in recombinant protein preparation

Dror Noy dror.noy at weizmann.ac.il
Sun May 30 23:51:44 PDT 2010

Not exactly AUC related but there's a chance to find here a few
people who work with proteins and do care about their UV absorption
properties:
We make a variety of native and artificial recombinant proteins and
often encounter a situation where the apparently pure fraction
according to SDS-PAGE gels has its UV absorption peak blue shifted
from the expected ~280 nm  toward 260 nm. This seems to be a general
problem and usually happens when proteins are purified from inclusion
bodies. We suspect DNA contamination but so far we were unable to get
rid of it. I'd be very grateful for tips from people who experienced
this phenomenon and were able to solve it.
Thanks,
Dror Noy