[RASMB] 99% versus >99% guanidine HCl

kaltofen at uni-potsdam.de kaltofen at uni-potsdam.de
Mon May 17 23:17:26 PDT 2010

Hi everybody,
depending on the methods you want to use, there are huge differences
even between "ultrapure" GuHCl from different companies and even
between different lot-numbers from the same supplier. We do lots of
fluorescence spectroscopy and found it worth trying different
suppliers (Thermo and Pierce are suitable). 99% is surely ok for
protein purification but unfortunately the impurities even in
ultrapure GuHCl absorb UV light and emitt in the same wavelength
region as tryptophane. Same thing holds true for urea. That should be
considered when planning fluorescence spectroscopy.

All the best,

Sabine

> Hi,
>> 99% is typically also considered to be spectroscopically pure and is
> recommended for spectroscopic measurements/assays such as protein
> unfolding/refolding. It is typically less than 0.1 Abs at a concentration
> 6M. If you need it for e.g. inclusion body resolubilization, etc. the less
> expensive one is just as good.
> Best
> Titus.

Sabine Kaltofen
PhD student

Universität Potsdam
Department of Physical Biochemistry
Institute of Biochemistry and Biology
Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 24-25, Haus 25, Raum B/0.05
D-14476 Potsdam-Golm
Telefon: +49-(331)-977-5245
Email: kaltofen at uni-potsdam.de