[RASMB] SV on membrane proteins

Mark Agacan M.Agacan at dundee.ac.uk
Mon May 17 07:28:55 PDT 2010

Hello,

I'm also running SV on a membrane protein in 150 mM NaCl, 50 mM NaCl,
and 0.1 % Foscholine-12.

I have no data for the detergent density or viscosity and so I tried to
omit it completely from the input parameters and see what sedfit c(s)
would output.

The mass values were way off from what was expected... as expected.

Can anyone suggest a way I can deal with density, viscosity, vbar
(without actually measuring the density) for this buffer / detergent
combination?

Cheers

Mark

Dr Mark Agacan, Scientific Officer for the Division of Biological
Chemistry and Drug Discovery,
Wellcome Trust Biocentre, College of Life Sciences, University of
Dundee, Dundee, DD1 5EH
Tel: +44 1382 386095    Fax: +44 1382 345764    Mobile: 07525 451 117

Please consider the environment. Do you really need to print this
email?

>>> Chad Brautigam <chad.brautigam at utsouthwestern.edu> 5/13/2010 15:41

Greetings, All, from the newbiest of membrane-protein newbies,

First, let me thank all of you experts who answered (both on- and off-

board) my last question on the topic of membrane proteins.  'Preciate

ya, as we say here in Texas.

I recently did some SV experiments on a membrane protein solubilized
in the accursed floating detergent LDAO (DDAO to some of you).  I was

able to fit the data nicely in SEDFIT using a discrete species model.

By using the trick of setting the vbar to 0, I fitted for s and for
the buoyant molar mass (Mb).  Hooray.

In a separate experiment, I used a combination of interference optics

and absorbance optics to measure the amount of detergent bound to the

protein.  This was very consistent from sample to sample (I tried 2
different protein concentrations).  This method is à la le Maire et al

(2008) Nat. Protocols, vol. 3, 1782.

OK, so I have Mb and I know the amount of detergent bound to the
protein on a g/g basis (this quantity is deltasubD).

We have the justly famous formula:
Mp = Mb (1-phiprime*rho),
where (neglecting bound lipid)
(1 - phiprime*rho) = (1 - vbarp*rho) + deltasubD(1-vbarD*rho)

So, since I have Mb and deltasubD, and I know rho and the vbars, can I

just plug the Mb that I get from SV into these equations and get a
good estimate for Mp, or is there some SV subtlety here that my newbie

brain hasn't apprehended?  I know this can be done for SE, but I've
never seen anyone attempt it for SV.

Any and all responses will be 'preciated.

Chad

======================================
Chad A. Brautigam, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Biochemistry
The University of Texas
Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas
Department of Biochemistry
5323 Harry Hines Blvd.
Rm. ND10.214A
Dallas, TX 75390-8816
Office:  214-645-6384
Fax:  214-645-6353
Email:  chad.brautigam at utsouthwestern.edu

The University of Dundee is a registered Scottish charity, No: SC015096