[RASMB] Lamp intensity fluctuations

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Tue May 4 06:24:37 PDT 2010

Hi Titus, et al.-
I am not sure what the intensity reading is you are presenting- is it
the average value across the radial scan? Is it the reading at a
particular radial position? In any case, it is worthwhile getting some
idea of the complexity that is behind the XLA intensity readings.
There are two intensity readings taken with each lamp flash- 1) 5 or 10%
(can't recall which) of the lamp flash intensity itself is monitored
using light bounced off of a semi-reflecting mirror and a photodiode
sensor. This signal is used to correct for the inherent ~3% variation in
flash intensity characteristic of the lamp. 2) The light intensity at
the photomultiplier (PMT) after it has passed through the cell and
slit/lens assembly. I do not believe the photodiode intensity readings
are accessible to the outside world, so your readings are from the PMT.
There are two gain settings used for each PMT reading. The first is the
PMT voltage, which may be varied from 0 to 1100 volts by the acquisition
system. The gain (in microamps/lumen) increases rapidly in a highly
nonlinear manner as the voltage is increased. Beckman connects a charge
amplifier circuit to the PMT rather than a more usual transimpedance
amplifier scheme. The charge amplifier circuit slows down the response
to the light pulse, but it increases sensitivity and minimizes shot
noise. The output from the charge amplifier is a voltage spike that is
considerably longer-lasting (milliseconds) than the light burst
(microseconds). The second gain stage is a programmable gain amplifier
(PGA) which multiplies the voltage from the charge amplifier by a known
amount (1x, 2x, 4x, 8x.... 256x). The PGA output is connected to a
voltage to frequency (V/f) converter, and the output from the V/f is
counted for 8 milliseconds following the lamp pulse. It is this count
(just a number between 0 - 65535), adjusted for the intensity from the
photodiode circuit, that constitutes an intensity reading.
Now, in order to automate the XLA  absorbance system so that it can
compensate for the variation in intensity with wavelength and optimize
the signal to noise ratio for samples having different optical
densities, the gain of this system (PMT + PGA) is adjusted to try to
keep the count within a certain range. For an absorbance reading,
changing the gain like this is not a big deal- so long as the reference
and sample intensity readings are in a good range, the log of their
ratio will be a valid absorbance reading. Accordingly, the XLA uses the
signal from the reference sector to set the PMT/PGA values to get a good
reading so that the absorbance calculation has a good signal to noise.
The XLA data acquisition is geared towards making the best possible
absorbance readings, and not worried about what it needs to do to get
optimize the intensity readings. So, here is what is happening in your
system- at early times, the reference sector (which has sample in it)
requires a higher gain setting in order to get what the XLA would use
for an absorbance calculation. The signals increase as the sample
sediments. The XLA does not want too high of a reading for the reference
signal or else the detector system may saturate. Consequently, it
reduces the gain settings. In other words, your system is working as it
was designed to work.
The 'work around' for this is to keep the absorbance reading in the
reference sector (and sample sector) to values < 0.4 OD. This will keep
the gain setting circuitry from doing wild things (like changing the
gain mid-scan).
Best wishes,
Tom