[RASMB] Dark interference fringe pattern

Hayes, David HayesD at MedImmune.com
Thu Apr 29 07:17:44 PDT 2010

Hi Arne,

I will let more knowledgeable people give possible reasons for the dark
fringe patterns (Walter Stafford once told me an XLI was once focused on
the second order fringes instead of the first order fringes, but I think
he saw what that looked like and I only heard about it), but as a lab
with an XLI fully upgraded to Proteome Lab version, I wanted to say that
our interference system works better than what is seen in your screen
shots.

In older systems there was a brightness and contrast setting, but in
newer systems there is no brightness or contrast control:  it is
supposed to be automatic.  My XLI has the same laser setting screen as
in your screen shot (no brightness or contrast control).  However, for
standard double sector cells without interference slits on the top
window, my laser duration is set to 0.1 degree.  I can use 0.2 degrees,
but the fringes look too bright and washed out.  My fringes would be
completely oversaturated at 0.6 degrees duration which is on your screen
shot.  With the thin slit window holders (sold by Spin Analytical) my
duration is set to 1.2 degrees since the slits control the light
intensity and the brightness of the fringes is always a little too
bright by my judgment and I wish I still had the contrast/brightness
controls.

Our friendly Beckman maintenance man, Sam Fishpaw, would never leave a
PM visit with fringes looking like this.

David Hayes