[RASMB] Xl-I wavelength check question

Carlos E. Catalano catalanc at u.washington.edu
Thu Feb 18 08:52:27 PST 2010

sounds like a bug in the system ...

On Feb 18, 2010, at 8:38 AM, Christine Wandrey wrote:

Hi all,

I also bought this window and the special tool some years ago and we
have good experiences. The lamp is longer clean. I regularly screw out
the window and clean it about every two months. The funny reason  why
I bought it was, we had a very small spider in the hole under the
monochromator mounting socket. We had strange scans and after some
searching our service engineer found this spider.

Best,
Christine

On Feb 18, 2010, at 4:43 PM, Leech, AP wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> Some systems, like our XL/I, have an extra window in the monochromator
> mounting socket, which helps save on lamp cleaning as it keeps the oil
> from "cracking" on the lamp surface. Our lamp intensity is quite low
> (~10000), whether this is affected by the extra window I don't know,
> but it doesn't go down much with use.
>
> It is worth checking this window from time to time - if your AUC has
> one
> you should have a special tool for extracting it (like a screwdriver
> with a round magnetic end).
>
> Best to all,
>
> Andrew
>

> Borries Demeler wrote:
>

>> Hi Mark,
>> I should mention that we have to clean our lamps quite regularly,
>> depending
>> on use perhaps every 2-3 weeks. The procedure is simple enough, it
>> would be
>> worthwhile to have the service person teach you how to do it
>> yourself.
>> Sometimes other optical components also require cleaning, but the
>> lamp
>> is usually the biggest culprit. Lamps do vary in intensity at 230
>> nm, most
>> I have come across range between 12-30 kcounts when cleaned. The UV
>> intensity
>> is lost first, I guess dirt absorbs in the UV stronger than in the
>> vis.
>>
>> Regards, -Borries

> --
> Dr Andrew Leech                   *  Laboratory Head
> Technology Facility               *  Molecular Interactions Laboratory
> Department of Biology (Area 15)   *  Tel   : +44 (0)1904 328723
> University of York                *  Fax   : +44 (0)1904 328804
> PO Box 373,  York  YO10 5YW       *  Email : apl3 at york.ac.uk

PD Dr. habil. Christine Wandrey, MER
Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de Lausanne (EPFL)
Laboratoire de Médecine Régénérative et de Pharmacobiologie (LMRP)
http://people.epfl.ch/christine.wandrey

tél.: (+41) 21 693 9661
fax: (+41) 21 693 9685
email: christine.wandrey at epfl.ch