[RASMB] Oligomerization of small peptides (20-30 aa)...

Tom Laue Tom.Laue at unh.edu
Wed Feb 10 06:34:37 PST 2010

Hi-
MS for looking at peptide oligomerization can be very powerful and,
under correct conditions, quantitative. It depends on the system you are
examining (is the solvent compatible with ES-MS) and the question you
are asking (detecting oligomers is relatively simple, extracting
dissociation constants may not be).
The concern always is that the dissociation constant is a system
parameter, and system perturbation is inherent in conducting MS. With
the appropriate controls it can work. Usually the controls include a
demonstration that for a model peptide (i.e. the native peptide
structure) the ES-MS provides equivalent estimates of association
energies as an independent solution method. Then ES-MS is used to
characterize the relative association energies for peptides that are
similar to the model peptide.
Best wishes,
Tom