[RASMB] viscosity issue in sedimentation velocity measurements of complex formation

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Jan 22 02:17:42 PST 2010

Greeting Donald, and everyone

You sound to have a nice system there. Having a small protein binding
to a (much) larger one is easier to analyse than where the two proteins
are comparable in size, although at the low concentrations you are
working at, and on the presumption that your proteins are more or less
'globular', c-dependence of the s values of the species ought not to be
a serious problem.

To see whether you need to bother about the 'viscosity of slow
component effect' let's have a look at a 'worst case' scenario of the
faster component having to sediment through concentrations of up to 1
mg.ml of the slow component. With wide separation of s values, you can
take the contribution of the viscosity of the slow component as being
simply additive to that of the solvent (buffer). If the intrinsic
viscosity of the slow component is around 5 ml.g, which is a fair
guess, then at the most the total viscosity of (solvent + slow
component) will be around 0.5% greater than that of (solvent alone), at
the maximum concentration of 1 mg.ml for the slow component. Note that
in the actual case, it will be a bit lower than this, because of the
concentration being less than 1 mg.ml because of  some of it being
bound to the fast component. And a tiny bit due to radial dilution.

So, on the face of it, you might think that the whole effect can be
ignored. But its not as simple as that. The % change in the s value of
the fast component which you are looking for, and have indeed detected,
is only around 10%. So the real error in ignoring the viscosity
contribution of the slow component is order of 0.5% in 10%, i.e. you
will be under--estimating the change in the s value of the fast species
by around 1 part in 20. This issue could be pursued both theoretically
and experimentally at some length. But what I would say is that if you
simple increase the s value of the fast species by an amount
proportional to the amount of slow component contribution, the
correction, although not perfect, will be much better than making no
correction at all.

That being said, however, maybe you should think of moving on from
using SVEDBERG as your default software. It's not that a single species
fit in SVEDBERG will give you a faulty vale, as compared to using
SEDFIT, for example, but there is much more you can do with the latter.
Although from an experimental point of view, if your aim is to
quantitate the amount of slow component which gets bound, you could do
this better, even sticking to SVEDBERG, by going into the far u/v to
pick up that slow component (I bet there is a peak around 230 nm or so)
and measuring the total area found at various c values, As compared to
control (no fast species present). You would of course spin at a speed
high enough to pellet the fast species, and only take for analysis
scans after that was achieved. But I'd still want to use SEDFIT myself.

Regards to you and all

Arthur

*******
Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology / Director NCMH Business Centre
School of Biosciences
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington
Leics LE12 5RD