[RASMB] density matching ASB -14

Ariel Lustig ariel.lustig at bluewin.ch
Sun Jan 10 00:42:03 PST 2010

Dear  Colleauges ,Tina, Tom (Laue),
I agree absolutly to the here  copied  part of the mail of   Tom( 9  Jan  2010 17:12)

>>Be aware, too, that solvent density matching using
other solvent components (e.g. salts, sugars) may result in a
significant shift in the protein's vbar if there is preferential
solvation, leading to inaccuracies in interpretation. Depending on what
you use to match density, preferential solvation may result in
substantial (5 - 10% error) in vbar. Since there is a 3-fold lever arm
that results in a 3% error in M for every 1% error in vbar, there may be
a 15-30% error in M if the preferential solvation is not accounted for.<<

At the BBA 1464 (2000) 199 -206 Ariel Lustig,  paper, we  calculated  (better to say   Prof.  Andreas  Engel
of the   Basel  Biozentrum  calculated it) that  The  error   with  our methode is  + / - 15% for the  Mw, (just
mentioned on the  first  page, the  Abstract)
Our opinion is, that the  pourpose to determine how nany monomers  contains  such a  micelle , even 15%
is a big  help for  biological systemes....yours...ariel