[RASMB] PhD position

Thomas Jowitt thomas.a.jowitt at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Dec 10 08:07:23 PST 2009

Hello

I have a CASE funded PhD position based within the Welcome Trust Centre for Matrix Biology in the Faculty of Life Sciences, Manchester University starting in September 2010. The stipend for the CASE award is provided by Farfield, a company who manufacture the Analight 4D instrument which uses dual polarisation interferometry to investigate mass, density and layer thickness of sensor surfaces. The project, which will be run jointly by myself and Professor Anthony Day, will utilise our new instrument to create novel tethered lipid surfaces, within which we can orientate our molecules of interest. We will then investigate small molecule interactions such as ATP, and metal ions with our tethered proteins, as well as investigating the dynamics of more complex multi-protein clusters. This combined with other techniques such as analytical ultracentrifugation, light scattering and surface plasmon resonance, provides a highly technical and exciting project with the possibility of learning many state-of-the-art investigative techniques and acquiring excellent publications.

This is an exciting opportunity to join our group at Manchester and the Faculty has a large and integrative postgraduate network. If you are interested or know of any students who may be interested then please contact me for more information (t.jowitt at manchester.ac.uk).

We aim to interview candidates before the 29th of January so applications need reach me before the 25th of January at the latest.

Thanks

Thomas Jowitt

Dr T A Jowitt

SEO Biomolecular analysis facility