[RASMB] observation boundaries for the fluorescence detector

Cole, James james.cole at uconn.edu
Tue Nov 3 09:44:52 PST 2009

Dear Titus
The meniscus in this data set is at  5.8 cm. If you are using  the Beckman-Coulter or Spin Analytics  2-sector cells, a nearly  filled channel  should have the meniscus at around 5.9-6.0 cm. The window holder/ screw-ring block the fluorescence detector at the bottom of the  cell, causing the downward slope. It has nothing to do with fluorescence quenching. In our system, the drop off begins at about 7 cm. In  your data it seems to occur at about 6.9 cm. So, it does seem possible that the radii are shifted low in this data. This is strange because in the fluorescence system  the detector movement is is controlled by stepper motor and is stable.
Regards,
Jim Cole