[RASMB] Query concerning membrane protein sedimentation equilibrium experiment

Arthur Rowe arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Tue Nov 3 05:07:14 PST 2009

Hi John (and everyone)

That sounds good to me. Of course you could have more than one protein
monomer contained in each micelle - but that should be immediately obvious
from the M value.

Kind regards

Arthur

Arthur J Rowe
Professor of Biomolecular Technology
NCMH Business Centre
University of Nottingham
School of Biosciences
Sutton Bonington
Leicestershire LE12 5RD   UK

Tel:        +44 (0)115 951 6156
           +44 (0)116 271 4502
Fax:        +44 (0)115 951 6157
email:      arthur.rowe at nottingham.ac.uk
Web:        www.nottingham.ac.uk/ncmh/business

From: John_Doran at vrtx.com
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:46:47 -0500
To: rasmb at rasmb.bbri.org
Subject: [RASMB] Query concerning membrane protein sedimentation equilibrium
experiment

We have measured the amount of detergent bound to our membrane protein and
hence were able to calculate a Vbar for the protein detergent complex. Is it
sufficient to just substitute this value for Vbar along with the density
value of the detergent buffer solution into the ideal species equation of
heteroanalysis to get an accurate molecular weight value of the
protein-detergent complex, or is it more involved than that? Any thoughts
concerning this would be appreciated. Thank you.

John Doran
Vertex Pharmaceuticals