[RASMB] absorbance versus interference question

Leech, AP apl3 at york.ac.uk
Tue Sep 29 10:20:12 PDT 2009

Hi Mark,

You do not say how you are analysing the data. How are you producing the
MW estimates?

I would normally produce a sedimentation coefficient distribution first,
e.g. SEDFIT's c(s). This should give very similar values for the peaks
from the two sets of data. The s values are not so sensitive to the data
quality as M values, which require an estimate of f/fo determined from
the boundary shape. Boundary shape is much more susceptible to mis-
interpretation.

Another thing you can check is the signal amplitude - change between
plateau at the experiment start and the baseline at the end. Using the
extinction coefficient for the protein for the absorbance data, and the
standard 3.3 fringes per mg/ml for the interference data will allow you
to estimate how much material is sedimenting. If it's different for the
two optics systems, you aren't observing the same material. (You can
more conveniently use the integrations in SEDFIT for this. Also they
will allow you to look at the relative amounts under the two peaks - are
they the same?)

All the best,

Andrew