[RASMB] Why is my interference data different from the absorbance data

Steve Harding Steve.Harding at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Sep 7 00:13:22 PDT 2009

Dear Paul
Just to reinforce what Arthur has said.  Although the raw data from interference optics is intrinsically more precise, it is frustratingly more difficult to interpret compared with absorption optics as the profiles you observe represent concentration at a particular radial position relative to another radial position.  So to get absolute concentration (expressed in interference fringe units) you need some method of evaluating the meniscus concentration ("Ja" or "Ca") or other reference position concentration to transform your relative concentration set.  Flotation of this as an offset doesnt always work I'm afraid. There is a strong literature from the 60's and 70's devoted to this which has largely been forgotten, notably articles by Creeth and Pain in Progress in Biophysics and Molecular Biology  (1967) and Teller (1973) in Methods in Enzymology, and describe methods of obtaining Ja or Ca which avoid flotation ..... although unfortunately it is still difficult to obtain. We also did some work on this in the 80's, although with the focus on highly heterogeneous systems such as mucins.  Errors in this will lead to a systematic error in the results, although this can be minimized by having a decent fringe increment between meniscus and base, at least 2-3 fringes   My guess is the flotation procedure you are using is underestimating the reference concentration, even with concentration of mass constraints.  Although the raw data is less precise (absorbance of non-sedimenting species still has to be corrected for) absorption optics gives a direct measure of concentration (with the Lambert-Beer limit) - for the case you describe I would trust your absorbance results more.
Best wishes
Steve Harding

Prof. Stephen Harding
National Centre for Macromolecular Hydrodynamics
University of Nottingham
Sutton Bonington
LE12 5RD, UK
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ncmh