[RASMB] (no subject)

John Correia jcorreia at biochem.umsmed.edu
Wed May 13 10:30:24 PDT 2009

If you do not like spin coat Howard Schachman & Steve Shire use nose grease - yes wipe your nose on the oily pad and rub on the thread.  Spin coat in my experience is only a small problem when reapplied.  You need not reapply that often, only when it feels sticky.

Cold cells shrink - often useful for getting tight cell housing out of the rotor.  May work for this issue too.  Sonication of the cell may help but if metal-metal fuses I'm not sure what would releave it.

>>> On 5/13/2009 at 11:05 AM, in message <051EB7156693E74CB4118B98018F92E801516C2FC5D6 at EVERGREEN.ucdenver.pvt>, "Connaghan, Keith D" <Keith.Connaghan at ucdenver.edu> wrote:

Hello,

Recently a screw ring became stuck in a velocity housing used with our XL-A. This is the second time this has happened in the last few months. It appears that the screw ring becomes miss-threaded, one time after a 50,000rpm run, and a second during cell assembly prior to a run. In both instances the screw ring was threaded properly, gently tightened and loosened several times to further ensure proper threading, then at some point seizes such that the torque wrench and stand cannot loosen the cell assembly. (Our practice for assembling cells does not include Spin Coat due to the issues I have had with contamination of the windows and such.)

That being said I have two questions. First, am I correct in thinking that the seizing of the screw ring is likely due to deformation of the cell housing? Second, we were able to use sturdier tools (compared to the torque wrench and stand) to separate the screw ring and housing in the first instance of this issue. However, no such luck in the second occurrence, does anyone have any suggestions for recovering at least the windows if not the windows and the centerpiece from the housing?

Thank you in advance,
Keith Connaghan

Please note my email address is now keith.connaghan at ucdenver.edu
Keith D. Connaghan
University of Colorado Denver
Anschutz Med. Campus
Dept. of Pharm. Sciences
RC-2, Rm. 4450A, Mail Stop C238-P15
(303)724-6119

Individuals who have received this information in error or are not authorized to receive it must promptly return or dispose of the information and notify the sender. Those individuals are hereby notified that they are strictly prohibited from reviewing, forwarding, printing, copying, distributing or using this information in any way.