[RASMB] computer and IF problems

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Wed May 13 10:17:24 PDT 2009

Christine,

I run my XL-I under Windows XP and do not have similar issues with
absorbance data collection shutting down, and certainly not a blue screen
condition. The blue screen suggests this might be an intermittent computer
hardware problem rather than a Beckman software issue. If this computer is
connected to a network I suggest double-checking that you don't have a
network back-up starting or some other scheduled activity that is
interfering.

I know it seems hard to believe but XL-A/I data collection is
extraordinarily sensitive to disk fragmentation for some reason. You must
defrag often, even though the defragger may report it is not needed. But
I've never seen defrag issues cause a blue screen.

With respect to the interference problem, I'm not sure whether what you are
describing is the same thing, but I do occasionally see the IP data shifted
and actually wrapped-around so the cell bottom is on the left and the
meniscus is in the middle or over on the right. (This is a static shift, it
doesn't change over time). I've found that simply exiting and re-starting
the GUI sometimes fixes this wrap-around phenomenon, but sometimes I have to
turn the instrument off and back on too.

John