[RASMB] computer and IF problems

Schar, Christine cschar at uic.edu
Wed May 13 08:18:36 PDT 2009

Hi all
I started having trouble with my interference optics about a week ago.
The meniscus in the fringe pattern moves across the screen from right to
left.  The absorbance optics show that the meniscus isn't changing.  Since
I needed to run the instrument and I could use the absorbance optics, I
tried doing a run with ABS only.  The computer lost the  connection to the
AUC and stopped collecting scans.  I've tested this several more times and
the computer will not run for longer than 6 hours before it just shuts off
now (welcome to the blue screen).  My connections to the AUC seem fine and
I haven't been able to get the computer to find any errors with the drive.
 I also tried to restore the computer to an earlier date before I started
having problems and that didn't help.  I was thinking about reinstalling
the software.  I have an XLI (2 years old) running on XP Pro.  Has anyone
done this before?  Or used the Beckman recovery CDs (3 of them?)

One more thing.  I was going through the software I got with the AUC and
saw the Ghost software.  I have to admit I didn't know what it was nor did
I ever really know it was on the computer so I do not have a ghost backup
of the computer in its nascent state.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice.
Christine Schar