[RASMB] SAUCE - x-ray optics for the AUC

Alexandra.Solovyova at newcastle.ac.uk Alexandra.Solovyova at newcastle.ac.uk
Sun Mar 22 12:48:50 PDT 2009

Dear Olwyn, Tom and Nick

I will be happy to support your proposal, since here at ICaMB (Newcastle
University) we have a number of on-going projects which will certainly
benefit from the development of SAUCE technique/instrument. Most of these
projects are focused on structural studies of slowly interacting
protein-protein and protein-DNA complexes where the application of SAXS is
very limited at the moment.
If you will need more detailed description of the systems which we are
working on along with the studies which could be carried out using SAUCE
please let me know.

With the best wishes,
Alex

> Dear RASMB Colleagues,
>
> We have been invited to submit a full bid to the UK Science and
> Technologies Facilities Council (STFC) to fund SAUCE - a hybrid
> instrument in which an AUC (the Spin Analytical Centrifugal Fluid
Analyser (CFA)) is introduced into the I22 small angle x-ray
> scattering (SAXS) beamline at the UK Diamond synchrotron.
>
> SAUCE will offer the following advantages to the user:
>
> 1. Aggregates will be cleared from the sample in situ; scattering data
will be of a higher quality.

> 2. AUC modality will permit the separation or significant enrichment of
species in an interacting system; scattering curves (and thence
molecular envelopes) will be determined for the individual species.

> 3. It will be possible to acquire AUC and SAXS data simultaneously.
>
> We are writing to you now to ask if you would be interested in using
SAUCE and would accordingly agree to being included in the list of
beneficiaries?

> If so, please reply to this e-mail by return (and certainly before 24
March).