[RASMB] SAUCE - x-ray optics for the AUC

Steve Harding Steve.Harding at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Mar 18 03:51:17 PDT 2009

Dear Olwyn/Tom/Nick
Just to reinforce what Arthur has said if you can get this to work,
presumably by zonal method it would open a lot of doors for the analysis
of mixed systems.
The new generation differential pressure viscometers which can be
coupled onto SEC also means we can pick out intrinsic viscosities in
such systems.
We have a project starting under the Dorothy Hodgkin industrial
Partnership scheme in May attempting to extend the method of combining
different hydrodynamic parameters for modelling domain orientation of
multi-domain systems like antibodies* to the case of analysis in
mixed/aggregated systems - commonly found after bioprocessing.  We
previously had to rule out x-ray scattering for such systems but your
proposal sounds like a breath of fresh air - I am happy to give it my
strongest support,
All best
Steve
*Lu, Y., Harding, S.E., Michaelsen, T.E., Longman, E., Davis, K.G.,
Ortega, A., Grossmann, J.G. Sandlie, I. and Garcia De La Torre, J,
(2007). "Solution conformation of wild type and mutant IgG3 and IgG4
immunoglobulins using Crystallohydrodynamics: possible implications for
complement activation". Biophys. J., 93, 3733-3744.
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2084252

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ncmh
steve.harding at nottingham.ac.uk
Tel: +44(0) 115 951 6148 (fax 6142)