[RASMB] more on dithionite and Hb

Jo Butler pjgb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 6 02:07:59 PST 2009

Hi Mitra,

Following Jack's comment, I can point out that there is really no need
to have dithionite (or any other reducing agent) present to work
anaerobically.
Some years ago I ran some u/c experiments on a cytochrome in the reduced
state and my collaborator was totally opposed to having any reducing
agent present during the runs.  Instead we pretreated the assembled
cells in vacuum, with a series of nitrogen flushes (i.e. high vac/ N2
admission/high vac etc.) and then very rapidly loaded the samples, and
sealed the cells, with samples which had also been brought to an
anaerobic state.
Despite the lack of reducing agent, the spectrum of the cytochrome
showed that, even at the end of either an equilibrium or velocity run,
it was still fully reduced.  Doubtless the vacuum of the chamber helps
to prevent any leakage into the cells during the run, but this does show
that adequate vacuum/flushing with O2-free N2, can eliminate the
residual O2 from cells.

Jo