[RASMB] more on dithionite and Hb

John Philo jphilo at mailway.com
Thu Feb 5 11:50:47 PST 2009

Regarding handling oxygen-sensitive materials in the centrifuge, first I
agree fully with Jack Kornblatt's statements about dithionite and had said
something similar to Mitra privately yesterday, and recommended he try an
enzymatic oxygen scavenging recipe I used for Hb kinetics studies in the
past.

Second, one additional point is that Todd Schuster told me years ago that
the Epon centerpieces are a significant source of oxygen. I believe the
old-timers would soak the centerpieces in dithionite solutions for several
days to deplete that oxygen and then the need for oxygen scavenging capacity
is much reduced.

John